My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Nice Kitty Kitty

I'm still dealing with pictures but not the "ancient" ones now.. i've made it up to the "old" pictures (like 15-17 yrs ago)

I found a few pictures taken of me (when i was thinner... and younger) with Kirby, when I volunteered at Shambala Preserve in California. Plus two shots I took of Kirby myself.

By the way, Kirby is a movie star. (figures huh? haha) He was the tiger in the remake of Jungle Book, plus he did other movies and even some advertisements. I believe I heard that Kirby is gone now though.


His owner trainer Rick Glassey, is a really nice guy. It was amazing to watch him with the 600 lbs tiger, letting him rest his front paws on his shoulder as he stretched his arm high in the sky for Kirby to reach his bottle of milk.

Strange to me to say 600 lb tiger and baby bottle of milk in the same sentence!! But Kirb loved his milk and of course the big chunks of beef that Rick gave him as he posed for the camera.. he was a content kitty at the time, but Rick never let you forget that Kirby was first and always a wild animal. Here is an address where you can read more about Rick:
http://junglebookings.com/About_Rick.htm


As amazing as it was to watch the animals at Shambala, it was also such fun to watch the faces on the people who came there to see Tippi's cats.

With the exception of Kirby the animals were not trained to do tricks .. but were handled daily from the time they were young so that they were good with people around.
Penny, the Lion lady would walk into the area for the lions and the cats would come by and walk at her side like she was part of the Pride. There was another Lady, Alex who handled some Leopards, and Trudy who handled Jaffra (tiger) and my favorite, Daisy Cougar, as well as others.

I found that Bill Dow, who was and still is Tippi's photographer for Shambala has a web site with many photo's of the animals he's taken pictures of. If you'd like to visit his site here is the address: http://www.billdowphotography.com/-/billdowphotography/default.asp?success=1

Enjoy his photo's they are worth the look!..

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You've done some really cool things in your life, haven't you? I don't know your whole story,(like how the heck you got from Calif to where you are now! lol), but you've always got a story to tell. I like seeing what surprise I'll find everytime I come to visit!

12:27 PM  
Blogger betty said...

What an awesome experience that was! I truly think you need to write a book, Pat.

betty

10:54 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

I agree with betty, why haven't you written a book yet??? That is a pretty kitty!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

AAAAHHH! You have just had a MOST interesting life! HOW did you "happen" to be volunteering to work with tigers? I am just stunned! And.... engrossed... and in AWE! Annnnnnnnd.... I have a friend who MUST read this post!!! I'm sending it to her NOW!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

YES!!! Yes!!!! YES!!!!! Boy howdy, do I EVER envy you being able to be with him.....they're such awesome animals and oh so beautiful.

Melli emailed me to come take a look at your photos.

Wow...color me so green!!!

(Not that those pictures of YOU and Mr. Tiger star are not good (did I mention envy) --but oh the one with him all alone closest to your closing...WOW!!! May I take the picture for myself? He's just oh so gorgeous) Let me know if I can borrow that picture, okay?

9:35 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

I'm here from Melli's place...and I stand in awe!!!
:-D

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home