My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

What's in a name?

So.. Paula Lambert emailed me the other day and before she hit the send button she asked me one last question:
P.S. I knew your name was Pat, but what is the history behind "DesLily"?
I will gladly tell you (but believe it or not, most of you can probably figure out the answer already), but in return how about you either leave the same information about your "computer name" or write about it in your blog and leave me a link in comments... is that a deal??
I realize some of you use your real name but many do not so let me know the story behind your "stage name"!
My story is a simple one... it begins by saying: A O L hahaha.. yep, every name I tried when I first got AOL was used! I tried names for hours until it dawned on me that my friend Annie was using the name DesAnnie (for nearly the same reason I was going to try DesLily)..so I tried the name and it took!
Here's the dirt with AOL... you cannot use apostrophes or spaces when coming up with your log on name.. therefore, the "real name" i was trying to have was: De's Lily ...( De's = DeForests Lily= he called me that a few times after I had done the Lily Tomlin impersonation.).. TaaaDaaa.. De's Lily! But I had to take out the apostrophe and push the names together... DesLily. Annie who was already my friend and a member of De's Fan Club had cleverly used the name DesAnnie, so I tried doing the same and came up with DesLily.
It would end there except that after some time of talking with a few people on line one person asked me to call them, and I did. When we spoke on the phone she called me Des (Dehs) Ohhhh, so it came out sounding different then De's Lily.. and became Dehslily sounding... and i really got to like it! (I even like it better then my real name lol)
Anyway... that's my answer and I'm sticking to it! hahaha.. Now, you can tell me YOUR story if you have a name that's not really your own, or blog about it and leave a link!!


6 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Your going to LOVE where my screenname comes from.... I couldn't get any variation of my name without a bunch of numbers, so I started looking around. I was already a member of Prodigy (do they still exist?), and I played an online RPG over there... based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Astaryth was the name of my very first dragon (and she was a GOLD too... very unusual to get a Gold in your first hatching). Anyway, since it is a made up name no one had it! Tada! That's how I got my name. Yep... I'm a Geek!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

I loved this!! When I saw the "De's Lily" explanation I thought, "Oh, of course!" In my mind, I'd been seeing it sort of French, with the "Des" part pronounced "Day" and was equating it with Daylilies, my favorite flower!!

Paula Lambert is my real name, and just tonight I've been working on an essay that has me thinking I have to do a blog entry on the name thing--every time I google myself, I come up with a cheesemaker in Dallas. Since she's also written cookbooks, she comes up again and again as an author--drives me nuts. Just once, some day, I want HER to google herself and find ME!! Hah!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

P.S. Thanks for the link!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

Hi darlin...

I read about this entry over at Karen's, and just had to come by. I love how you got your name. Isn't it fun? LOL. It took me forever to get the right screen name also, then it simply came to me. Tada! LOL. I will write an entry about this, early next week. keep a look out!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

I was curious about your screen name. Now I know. There is one other screen name that I must find the answer too.

Here is mines

7:35 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Well that IS fascinating. And until tonight when I read all these OTHER stories, I NEVER would have guessed! But I'm glad you posted this link so I could find out!

No stories to Melli I'm afraid -- it IS my real name ... it's who I be... for eternity!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home