My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Only a few days left...

Only a few days left.. the Turkey Rush is on!

My guess is that most ladies that cook for Thanksgiving have already begun! If not the baking then the food shopping, which is anything but joyful standing in those long lines! You can forget buying bagged ice for now... by the time you get checked out, it's water! Needless to say, Ice Cream doesn't do any better.

I feel sure the 20 lb turkeys are trying to defrost in the refrigerators as we speak (I know ours is).

I have to say stuffed turkey is one of my all time favorites. I love, love, love turkey gravy and bread (pepperidge farm) stuffing!! I make mine with lots of chopped onions and celery, I add four (cubed) slices of fresh white bread and fresh rye bread to the pepperidge farm crumbs, and also take a small bag of walnuts and pound it to dust and add that, along with 2 beaten eggs, more poultry seasoning and pepper... that's about all my stuffing consists of. (oh and a full tub of land-o-lakes "spread" that i cook the celery and onions in)

My job at the house is to make and stuff the bird and make the gravy... all the other stuff David cooks. Which I am very happy about because as much as I love Rutabegas, I absolutely hate trying to peel and chop them up! Rutabegas bring up a very old memory. When I was really young my mother would cook a Rutabega and mash it up and mix it with the mashed potatoes because my brother hated them... when he'd say the potatoes tasted funny she would say that they were "New York Potatoes". Every year my brother would tell her not to get NY Potatoes!

Even though David cooks mashed potatoes and bakes sweet potatoes and such I don't eat them for my meal. He often gets frustrated with me because of it. He knows I love sweet potatoes and keeps asking why I won't eat them.. well, it's simple! I only get turkey stuffing and gravy once a year and I'd rather fill myself on that then anything!! So all that hits MY plate is a little turkey, lots of stuffing, lots of gravy, some baby brussel sprouts and jellied cranberry sauce! But I will say this: I sure don't go away hungry!!

The next best taste after Turkey Day is over is Turkey soup! Mmmmmmmm.. boy I can't wait!

The one other memory that Thanksgiving always brings to me is from when I lived in California. My friends, the Kelley's always went to a friends home for that particular holiday, but I could never see them coming home to "no leftovers" and so I (who lived alone) would get a 20 lb turkey and stuff that baby to the gills. The "day after" I would go over and bring them turkey and stuffing and all the goodies so that they could have another hot meal of it. Then when I got around to making the turkey soup I would bring a really big container of the soup. Carolyn and De both loved it.. Carolyn ,probably more then De since she hated to cook lol. And yes, they could have afforded a cook but they were very private people and didn't allow any sort of workers in their home. A gardener was the extent of their "frivolous" help.

So this particular holiday can't go by that I don't think of them, and wish they were still around for me to cook for. But I'll still make that stuffing and still eat it until I am nearly sick!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Hey, if you absolutely HAVE to cook for someone. Dragons have large appetites and would never turn down an offering.

:)

5:22 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, it wouldn't let me leave a comment...Drat!

I hope this works...but if it doesn't....I'll come back later.

10:05 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sounds like much preparation is hoing on towards "Turkey Day". I hope it is a lovely wonderful meal and a lovely wonderful day, too!

To answer your question: Each Baby is part of the whole plants and so it's roots are the mother plants roots....They continue to grow right where they are getting bigger and bigger and then just look like each of the other parts of the plant....It is a really beautiful plant, I must say.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the turkey cooker in my family. I stuff the bird, but now with traditional stuffing (we have that aside). I hate a dry bird so I only stuff it with water based items (celary, onion, etc.).

Have a great Thanksgiving!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

I haven't had Rutabegas in a very long time. I like them; my mother used to cook them. I like your dressing recipe.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

And a month later, I finally discover someone else who likes rutabagas!

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home