My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Movin' On

So... I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...
I won't put out any spoilers for those who haven't read it or are still reading it, even though I feel sure that most others finished the book long before I did..heh. I'll just say that I really liked the book! She did a super job .. and I think since all the movies having been made already that this one reads somewhat like a movie script!
It is bitter sweet though. For those of us who have been reading the series as each book came out... it's sorta like we are loosing many old friends, who's adventures we've enjoyed . *sigh*..
Anyway.. before I get into a few other books waiting for me I think I will take a break and read some.. well.. some smaller and younger books. Precisely the ones I bought while in Florida...

The ...Ology books are small and will be read in one sitting each.. or close to it.
Then I will read a book that I purchased...well..errrr... because of the cover.

The cover "unfolds".. the dragons head you open to the right and then the rest of the cover to the left .. is that cool or what?!!! heh..

Since I knew I was going to fess up and admit the purchase of a book because of the cover (and inside artwork) I wondered if I was being ..well, you know.. weird! But I didn't wonder for long!
As I read the other "readers" blogs I found the following, either in the blog or in comments... (no names are given to protect the innocent!)
... To be honest, I have had my eyes on it for a while because I like the cover...
...I picked up Mary Modern because the cover is amazing
...simply because I have wanted it for months because the cover is so fun.
and my own ... the cover alone took my heart! The book doesn't just "open".. it unfolds!
So what is it that drives us to buy books "because of the covers?" ARGH.. I wish I knew! I just know it catches my eye ..(first mistake).. then I pick it up.. (second mistake).. and then I can't put it back! (fatal mistake!) I've got to learn to control myself! (yeahrightsure)
At least I'm in good company!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

haha, I think everyone buys a few books here and there because of a cover. Even if they say "don't judge a book by its cover"... does anyone really follow that? Unless I hear really good things about a book, I won't pick up a book on impulse that I don't like the cover of. And, well, sometimes I read books with fun covers that suck, but that is besides the point! They look so nice on the bookshelf, afterall. :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I agree with Kailana..."they look so nice on the bookshelf". Part of it is just that I love art! So having these books with cool covers feels like I own something special even if I never read the book! It's fun just to look at :)

Harry did read like a movie script in the sense that it was extremely adventurous...I'm going to miss that series so much :(

11:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kailana and chris: the artwork will always draw me too a book.. (or repell me) Some authors (mostly the better known ones)get lucky and get good artists.. it's a shame that new authors can't choose the cover art on their books after they go thru such a creative process to write them.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I know how you feel about Harry Potter... it really was like losing old friends.

You're not weird, I've bought books because of the cover too... or maybe we're all weird :P I think publishers know people will tend to do that, and that's why they invest in beautiful work. There are some UGLY covers out there too though - I can't figure out what those publishers might be thinking :P

6:08 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Whoever wrote "Never judge a book by its cover" was not privy to the amazing and creative cover illustration we have today. I've made my best discoveries because of liking book covers.

Aren't the 'ology' books beautiful? They are so well done.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home