My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

In the Woods

In The Woods by Tana French

Paperback: 464 pages
Publisher: Penguin (Non-Classics); Reprint edition (May 27, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0143113496

 

From Publishers Weekly
Irish author French expertly walks the line between police procedural and psychological thriller in her debut. When Katy Devlin, a 12-year-old girl from Knocknaree, a Dublin suburb, is found murdered at a local archeological dig, Det. Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, must probe deep into the victim's troubled family history. There are chilling similarities between the Devlin murder and the disappearance 20 years before of two children from the same neighborhood who were Ryan's best friends. Only Maddox knows Ryan was involved in the 1984 case. The plot climaxes with a taut interrogation by Maddox of a potential suspect, and the reader is floored by the eventual identity and motives of the killer. A distracting political subplot involves a pending motorway in Knocknaree, but Ryan and Maddox are empathetic and flawed heroes, whose partnership and friendship elevate the narrative beyond a gory tale of murdered children and repressed childhood trauma

I have one word to say...  "wow".

This is my second read of 2009 and the second book that meets the criteria of being a "chunkster"... but I read this books a whole lot faster then I did the last book!

I needed this book to remind me that there really are good books out there that can still take me away and put me into their world!  This book grabbed me from the very beginning and never let go  until the end.

It's not a book I would normally read (I'm not a murder mystery reader) but a person who's opinion I admire (since she works for Laurie R King ) told me this was a really good book, I thought I'd try it.  Vickie, who is the person I  just mentioned , had long ago sent me an ARC of a Laurie R King mystery called Touchstone, which I also found to my liking.  All in all I need to add her name to the "it's your fault list". I do want to give credit where credit is due.

I am still character driven, and this book has good characters, with flaws, and that works well into the story.

Now I will pass on the same thing she told me... "In The Woods is a really good mystery book.  REALLY GOOD".  If it doesn't capture you right away I will be surprised.  This book is a combination of things that happened to 3 kids years ago that turned into a cold case, and a current case involving a murder of a 12 yr old girl. 

It's very hard to believe this is  Tana French's first book!  And I feel sure that you will find it hard to believe also! 

I think I need a lighter book to read after the last two books I've read... and something at least under 400 pages.  Maybe I'll read the "duck book" Chris got me to buy.. yeah.. that's the ticket!

11 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Crap, I'm just going to have to break down and buy this one. I enjoy thriller mysteries, and I've heard this is a good one. You just pushed me over the edge. So maybe you should keep in mind that you're just as much a "pusher" as others are. ;)

10:00 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: moi? nah nah, I say! lol lol

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep reading about this book - maybe I should just read the book!

12:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Margaret: if you like mysteries this is a good one! I don't even read mysteries as a regular thing and this book caught me right away.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I don't often read mysteries either, but I've heard such great things about this one! And many came from other people who also don't often read mysteries, like you :P So yeah, I will end up caving and getting it.

4:57 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

wowwee! Ok, this one's going right onto the wishlist and I'm sure you'll be getting a point for it in no time :p Not my typical kind of read either, but every now and then I enjoy a good mystery!

5:11 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth & Chris: wow.. all you guys gunna read this (it is good!).. I think the author should send me an ARC of her next book lol... don't worry this mystery has a final end to it!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I've loved the cover for this book since the first time I saw someone post it on their blog. I'm glad to hear that the book is such a winner. It certainly says a lot that this isn't your normal vein of reading and yet you were captivated from the start. And whenever a 'chunkster' goes by quickly then you know you've got something special there.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Like Carl, I love the cover on this one. Another to add to my ever growing 'must get' list. IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!! (Just thought I'd get that in. heehee.)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'd like to read this one soon. It's been on my list for awhile...

10:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: fersure! it begins with a cold case and those have always captured me on television so that could be the draw, but it sure kept me reading!

Cath: oh I forgot to mention this all takes place in Scotland!.. knowing you like mysteries this is a good one (this and touchstone lol)

Tink:I know 2009 has just begun but I think I can say this book will be one of the surprise likes of the year!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home