My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Part 2 of 5..

For the past two days I watched disc two From the Earth to the Moon.

Disc two began with figuring out how to get off the moon and back to earth. It was John Hubble's idea to have a lunar orbit. but those listening to him didn't think it would work. Then when they finally decided that a lunar orbit rendezvous would be what they needed to do they researched who would make it and Grumman was handed the prize and 7 years to build it. It seemed like they had plenty of time, but as in life, time slips away and they got behind in finishing it on time. Every piece had to be hand made since nothing like this was ever made before, and every piece had to be tested, and tested... and tested again. Seven years flew by.

"We choose to go to the moon not because it is easy but because it is hard" JFK.

Then came the Apollo Missions...

Astronauts McDivitt, Scott and Schweikhart would be the astronauts to first fly the LEM and test it to undock and dock. They were probably the astronauts who did the most untested tests in space at any given time.

The Apollo 11 crew is chosen: Neil Armstrong. Buzz Aldrin. and Michael Collins.

There was some controversy over who should go out of the LEM first. Both Aldrin and Armstrong wanted to be first. Neil was chosen on the grounds that he was Commander and the Senior Astronaut. Both knew that "history" would only remember the first to set foot on the moon)

Meanwhile Collins had to train to come back alone should the unexpected happen. I can't even imagine the emotional strain on him.

July 20, 1969:

The Eagle is cleared for decent. (the bawling began again! argh!)

Houston held it's breath.

The world held it's breath.

"Houston, Tranquility base here, the Eagle has landed."

Crude! even writing this I cry! I do know where I was, in my livingroom with the television on waiting and listening. I even woke my 3 year old son up to watch the landing, not that he'd remember, but I had to!

I keep wondering.... what did they feel as they looked out the window knowing they were on the moon?

Then Neil Armstrong descends the ladder and makes a hop into the footpad of the LEM. He tests getting back up the ladder and back down.... then he steps off of the pad...

"That's one small step for man... one giant leap for mankind."

(bawl, bawl, bawl.. I give up!) Tomorrow I will begin disc three.

Only 2 disc's out of 5 and I already know I want to somehow afford to send for and have the patches from each of the mission. *sigh* It may never happen.. but I will try. I found a place that sells them but the pricing is a little confusing.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

Pat, have you ever been to NASA? I was there a few years ago and it was the best thing ever! I did all the tours and was a fangirl the whole time. I went with my family, who didn't really care, but it was a dream come true for me. I wanted to be an astronomer for most of my childhood, but it never panned out...

12:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Kelly: no I've never been there. I did see some things from Nasa at the Trek 30th Anniversary convention in Alabama though and did get to meet and see astronauts at that one show. I was so "star struck" meeting Alan Bean and Dick Gordon I can't begin to tell you how my heart was in my throat, but I had no problem talking with them.. but then I didn't want them to leave my sight .. I feel like I lost a relative when one of the orginal astronauts passes away.
I'd still like to be at a launch, never got to one of those either.
When my kids were teens a gal pal of my youngest sons was interested in astronomy. She had a pretty good telescope and all, and showed me a few stars and talked about them to me once. I was very impressed! I wish your dream of that had come true.. can I ask why you aren't still persuing it? Is the love of it gone, or just side tracked to exist and pay bills like everyone else?

1:36 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I'm convinced that by the time you get to the fifth disc, this series will be in my amazon shopping cart and on it's way to me :p Come on now Pat! First books, now you're pushing DVDs on me!!

2:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: lol..:o) Honestly I'm not pushing them to anyone.. I just love these men so much..anything about them is hard for me NOT to like, let alone a mini-series produced by Tom Hanks who admittedly loves the space program and was thrilled beyond words to play one of the for Apollo 13! I began disc 3 today, part one was on Apollo 12 with Alan Bean, Pete Conrad and Dick Gordon (two of whom I met!!) I may forget exact dates and even names (always been bad at names)but if you lived during this time, and cared at all about it.. it's something you will never, ever forget.

2:52 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I was in France on July 20th, 1969...Earlier in the evening we were eating at a Restaurant in CAnnes--Sitting outside, looking up at the Moon, KNOWING they would be landing there later that night---In France, EARLY Morning....
We watched on French TV....it was Frustrating because everything that was said, of course, was said in French. You could hear the English in the Background, but it the Volume of it was so low that we could not understand when the Astrinots spoke....BUT, What A Night It Was! (Sob Sob, too....!)

9:21 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

ASTRONAUTS...My Spelling Sucks!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

They look to me like they are about $5 apiece before shipping. Those would definitely be right up your alley. Very cool. Hope you can manage to snag some of them.

10:22 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

DesLily -

"Houston, Tranquility Base here; the Eagle has landed."

Those words still have the power to send chills through me.

My family was in Detroit visiting relatives when they landed and I remember everyone crowding around the TV. I don't think any other single event has made the same sort of impression on me. NASA's success feel like mine and their failures always, always make me weep.

Thanks for sharing this amazing adventure with us and doing it so very well.

cjh

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home