My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, August 07, 2009

Checking in on the Moorhens

Proud mama ...

..showing off her new family..

...dad helps out too!

Mama may be small but she's mighty! Making sure the Egret stays far from her family!

(below...group hug)

..sometimes it's like they are super-glued to mama..

.."did you call ME ma?"

..."gosh, looking at you is like looking into a mirror!"

Update: all the Moorhens were out and swimming close to my apt so I went out with a handful of saltines. I crouched down and was about to break them up and toss them into the water for them when both mama and pop came running right up to me and took some right out of my hands and ran it right back to the water to soften it for the babies... even the babies came on land but not as close of course.

7 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Cool pictures, Pat. I've got to say, however, that those are not God's prettiest birds. The babies are adorable with their little bald spots.

I had a chipmunk pal I could feed like that out at our cabin years ago. His favorite snack was dog food and he'd sit and fill his little cheeks to bursting right from my hand.

cjh

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better watch out for your fingers. Some of those critters get so eager they will snap bread or crackers right along with the odd digit or two. These apparently have already cultivated the fine art of the grab. But I bet they are entertaining little buggers. The neigborhood cat that adopted me now has to have a pet and scratch after breakfast. But when I feed him those whiska treats he tries to get at them before I can get my hand open and a couple of times the old finger had a bit of a nip. The critter is still as skittish as all get out. Don't know if it lets anyone else close. I sure hope so. Well best go check on the rest of my mail. Take care..Vala3

4:52 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Awww..they are adorable.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Memory said...

I still think the babies are awful cute, but their mama's kind of scary!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Incredible that they took food from your hand! Wow. I'm pretty much hooked on your lake posts, Pat.

6:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: ahhh nope they wouldn't win any beauty contests lol

Vala: lol yep i expect I will get a "peck" sometime or another lol

Nymeth: you need glasses LOL..but fuzzballs are cute no matter what lol

memory: mama is "mama".. and she will protect to the best of her ability!

Cath: well if it weren't for the fact i like to take pictures (and now with digital it doesn't cost for me to take pictures) and the pond outside, there would be far fewer posts! lol just wondering what happens when photobucket and flickr say i have met my max at uploading pictures!?

6:37 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh my gosh, great shots Pat! Ugly, but cute. The kind of animal that has 'a face only a mother could love.' :)

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home