My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

One of those days

It's just been one of those days, ya know?

Kinda blah.

No.. make that very blah..  even BooBoo is blah!

I made a "cheap version" of Chicken Soup.. that might help the blahs..

(cheap version just means I like a whole lot more veggies in the soup)

It always helps Boo's blahs..chicken is his most favorite thing in the world!  Which means I will have to pick out pieces of chicken and share my soup with the boo-boy.  

Somehow he always gets more than I do.. I wonder why that is?

*sigh*..

Anyway.. I've seen many blogs doing favorite male and female characters from books, so thought I'd try that and catch you up on the Moorhen chicks tomorrow..

Almost a no brainer huh? I mean, after all, your favorite characters are going to be from your favorite books.. I assume that's what makes them our favorite books!   (what did I just say??  I think I need more coffee!)

Female:

Lessa (The Dragonriders of Pern)

Loved Lessa from the beginning! She survived and at times revenge really is kinds sweet!

Menolly (The Dragonriders of Pern)

Another survivor. She has many traits you would wish for yourself. (and she had great taste in men lol)

Polgara (Belgarian series)

A woman to fear lol.. yet you can't help be drawn to her.  She doesn't put herself "first" but she doesn't neglect herself like most woman. ..for all she gives up.. she gets rewarded in the end. We'd all like to think that could happen to us too.

Professor McGonigall (Harry Potter)

A witch that cares about the children she teaches.  makes one wonder where many real teachers went wrong.

Mary Russell (Laurie R King series)

A female Sherlock Holmes (and the wife of said detective) Very smart lady but not without humor.. this is good.

Margaret Lea (The Thirteenth Tale)

I liked Margaret.  She never gave up.  She found the answers. and she was a better person for it.

Elinor  (Inkheart)

What a fabulous character, so well defined. You watch her go from a recluse to a very adventurous lady.  (to be honest, I thought Maggie Smith would have made a better Elinor in the movie!)

 

Male:

F'lar (The Dragonriders of Pern)

He's a leader I would follow anywhere. He dared to dream and then worked to fulfill his dreams.

Masterharper Robinton (The Dragonriders of Pern)

The quiet hero.  Respected by all.  Loved by just as many. It would be hard NOT to care about this man.

Gandalf (Lord of the Rings)

He needs no words.

Belgarath (Belgarian series)

loved loved loved this character!  So well written.. so easy to know he is always MORE than what he shows.

Raistlin (Dragonlance series)

An unusual choice?  ..because he is a villain?   Is he?  He sure kept my attention through all the books!  So  he maintains a place in my favorite male characters.

Tasslehoff Burrfoot (Dragonlance series)

What  a great character!  A great friend.  Someone who can frustrate you and then make you laugh.  This is a case of the minor character becoming the one  you find hard to forget.

Bartimaeus  (the Bartimaeus trilogy)

Bartimaeus was just too original not to like.  He's a character I would like to see again in another series of books.

Hagrid (Harry Potter)

Who couldn't love  Hagrid?

Ron (Harry Potter)

Just because it HAD to be spiders.  .. it couldn't be "follow the butterflies".  Ron had the best quotes and the best delivery of those quotes. 

Mo (Inkheart)

Who can't feel for a long suffering man?  He's a reluctant hero..and that's always appealing.

Whelp.. I guess that's it for now...

12 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Oh my, that chicken soup looks absolutely delicious! I'll be right over!!!

Great list of favorites. Fun to see Thirteenth Tale listed...that book has been on my mind a lot lately and I'm trying to decide if I want to reread it or not.

8:25 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: don't let looks deceive you lol sometimes they don't taste as good as they look ..and I'm not a very good cook (but I do like my chicken/ turkey soup!)
Yeah.. i reread 13th tale last year for your RIP challenge and it's sitting there making me think about doing it again this year!!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

The Thirteenth Tale is going on my list for the RIP challenge and *this time* I'm going to read it.

Good ole Ron. ;-)

Looks like you've got visitors for supper tonight because I'm coming over too. ;-)

12:46 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: it's a good gothic style mystery and it's about an author and books so it's hard to go wrong lol. If I read it again it will be my 3rd reading of it.

the only thing i like more than chicken / veg. soup is turkey soup! lol

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur with the others. That veggie soup looks pretty lush. And I am a carnivore. (I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat veggies!) Usually only eat soup in the cold wintertime or when I am ill and need a chicken noodle fix.
I looked at your fav characters. Haven't really read any of those books so only ones I knew were the Harry Potter ones (saw the movies).
I have too many books with favorite characters to even begin to pick out just a few. From Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird, along with Scout to some of Heinlein's youthful heros. I think whatever book I am reading at the time, if I am liking it, contains a favorite.
Yup, hand better..so glad.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Memory said...

I love lists like this! Bartimaeus is a favourite of mine too; he's not on my Ultimate Favourite Characters list, (which is highly exclusive; characters have to jump through about 700 hoops to get on it), but he's one of my very favourite narrators. I love his snark. And his footnotes!

And would you believe that I'd forgotten all about Belgarath until now? I love him too. Eddings' books were among my favourites when I first started reading fantasy. I purchased personal copies of all the books last year, and I need to make the time to reread them.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

August has always provided lots of blah days for me. I think you're doing pretty good to get soup made on a blah day.

I loved Polgara, too. And Mary Russell and Elinor. The rest I am not familiar with. Don't remember Margaret Lea so I guess I need to reread Thirteenth Tale.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

That looks like my veggie soup with beef. Looks good. Helen

7:37 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Oh man that soup looks good! Normally I'm not big on soup during the summer but I can TOTALLY make an exception for that.

And by the way, I love Ron too. He does get the best lines in the books, doesn't he?

10:51 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling blah today Pat :( :( Even Boo looks upset...that chicken soup looks AMAZING though!! Seriously, I want a bowl right now!! And I love your list of favorite characters :) I love Professor McGonagall so much just because of Maggie Smith's portrayal of her. She's so fantastic!

1:03 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey Vala: you read more sci fi and classic than I do lol I read fantasy, bio's and some gothic mystery but as long as we all enjoy reading, that's the bottom line.

hi Memory: yeah Bartimaeus is a character I won't soon forget lol
and as for Belgarath..I may love him even more than gandalf! (more like a tie)

booklogged: blah is my everyday life! .. you have to love Polgara! She could do something very nasty if you didn't lol..but I love her and Belgaraths characters !! Oh do read the 13th Tale! (gothic mystery )

Hi Helen: but i need more veggies!! lol I love fresh veggies in my soup! the more the better!

Kim: I am not normally a soup eater in the summer either but sometimes..it's just easy to make and lasts me about 4 days of "not cooking"!

hey Chris: yeah seeing Maggie smith in the part helps that character along lol.. we'll "do chicken soup" if you ever come to fla lol

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Vicki said...

Mmmm--I love soup! And that soup looks especially delish! :D

Some of these characters dwell in my TBR skyscraper. I look forward to meeting them!

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home