My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, September 11, 2009

The Last StarFighter

 OH man.. as I read  my usual fill of blogs the other morning I came across a trailer for an old movie that I always watch whenever it comes on television, called The Last Starfighter..

I have a vhs of it..but like always, I neglect to bring it out and sit and watch the tv version with commercials instead.. dumb..dumb..dumb.

I made the mistake of watching the trailer!  I mean..I never saw this movie in a theater and so it stands to reason I never saw a trailer either.  You should watch this little trailer.. but be warned..if you like sci fi at all this will make you want to see the movie if you haven't already.  And if you have seen it.. fond memories pop into your head and you want to see it again!

Oh how I loved Robert Preston!!  Of course he was far better known in other movies such as: The Music Man and Victor Victoria (not to mention a little thing he did for TV that I always remembered called Finnegan Begin Again) He was always such a powerful presence.

And Dan O'Herlihy played Grig the "lizard man".. he was fabulous in the part!! I was so honored to meet him and help him at a show and was happy I got his signature on a picture of Grig!

Lance Guest who played the lead role of Alex is going to be in New Jersey for the autograph show that I worked all the time!!  ARGH!!!  I may have to try to send money to someone to get his signature.. though that is something I rarely do.. I, of course would rather be there myself!

Funny, how if you don't see a movie you've always like for some time and then for some reason you hear of it, like I did.. then you want to watch it again!  sheesh.. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen this little movie. (sitting here shaking my head).. but I know I will sit through watching it many more times..

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I love this movie. I don't have it on DVD, but I think I do have a copy on VHS taped from a free month of HBO when I was like 11.

I do the same thing all the time. If a movie I like is on TV, I'll watch it on TV, even though hubby says "we have this on video, without commercials!" The only response I ever have is, "yes, but it's on TV!"

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Dan O'Herlihy. He used to be in a lot of wonderful old movies. Great actor. And of course Robert Preston! I remember skipping down the road ala Prof. Harold Hill to seventy six trombones. And could he have been more hilarious in Victor Victoria. That is one movie I rewatch whenever. I did see the Last Starfighter but it was long ago. The one that surprized me that I liked a lot was Starman. Didn't expect that to be so cute. Jeff Bridges was amazing in that.
I also sometimes get hooked on watching a tv movie. Then I cringe and usually turn it off when they start deleting scenes or bleeping the language. Just not the same when you hear some bad ass cursing the hero with tv dialogue like "you gosh darn butthead". Doesn't quite make it..know what I mean? Vala

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

asara: we are probably lazy lol.. but once i hear a favorite movie on tv I am sunk and then give in and sit and watch the movie lol

Vala: Ohhhh I love Starman! Yes, yes! Jeff Bridges was Wooonddderful in that movie!!
Preston was good in everything he did..even westerns!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I saw the trailer for this the other day. Somehow I've never managed to see the movie before though.

9:42 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

The Last StarFighter is a seriously great movie. I caught it on TV by chance and fell in love with it years ago.

Man, now I want to see it!

cjh

9:51 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Speaking of older things, I saw the pilot to STAR TREK the other night for the very first time. I was so excited! I am not a big fan of the Original series, probably because I grew up on TNG, but it was interesting. I wasn't a big fan of the cast... I think I liked what they settled on better, though I was surprised that Majel got bumped down so far. I understand it was too crazy to have her as 'Number 1', but you'd think she would be something more than a nurse in the later show...

Okay, sorry about the off-topic comment!

12:09 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

tink: I have always loved watching sci fi movies.. just never got into "reading" sci fi..

cj There are a few movies like this one that you don't see all the time on tv but they are super movies.. Starman is another. and for "cute" Flight of the Navigator.

kelly: its so easy for us to look back and say "what's wrong with a woman in the number 2 spot?" but they were still breaking ground. Also the reason Majel bleached her hair blonde for the part of nurse Chapel was to fool Paramount so the didn't know they were hiring her even though they told Gene to get rid of her..At least she was a "regular" to the staff.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Oh, interesting! Thanks for the info!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I saw The Last StarFighter in the theatres! I don't own a copy, but one day should - my daughter especially would like it. I liked the idea of it....and you're so right, even if we own the movie, I have watched so many movies with the commercials on tv instead!! too lazy is right.

I have to do my post on the Star Trek blitz last weekend!!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home