My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Name of the Star

Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile; (September 29, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0399256601

star1[1]

Book Description

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.
Soon Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

Maureen Johnson has written a YA thriller.  I would lie to you if I didn’t say the format of the book, being double spaced and easy reading wasn’t a blessing to these clouded eyes!  The book read quite quickly and it was, to be sure, an enjoyable read. 

I will say though, that I came away from the book not really feeling as if I knew the young people all that well.  I’m not sure why. I just wouldn’t call the characters “unforgettable”.   However, I always enjoy when a book that  mentions things we feel we know a little about. (re: Jack the Ripper)  In this respect Ms. Johnson did her homework and any information that came out about Jack the Ripper was most likely spot on.    This was a good way to bring “old London” into new London, and I always get reminded that I am glad I wasn’t there during that time (even without being a prostitute!).  All anyone has to do is see “the killer” and you know in the pit of your stomach that you will be someone he will come after!  (not the greatest feeling I am sure). The instant this happens my mind went, “oh chit”! lol I especially liked how Ms Johnson explains away Rory’s new found “ability”, of which I won’t speak so that you get to enjoy finding out for yourself.

To me the book reads as a stand alone book, but if she wanted I am sure Maureen Johnson could bring Rory back to help with another murder.

As I said, I enjoyed the book.. but I think I would have enjoyed it more had I not just read a Dickens book before this one.  I think it made it seem simplified because Dickens books are above my level lol.  I may even try her next book whenever that comes out.

10 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

People seem to love to re-visit the "Ripper" murders in writing and in film....there was some minor movie recently that used a copy-cat "Ripper" idea....! I guess when it is something that notorious I can see that the appeal is great to re-visit it for a modern day 'thriller'....!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I've been hearing some things about this one and didn't realize before now that it was a YA novel. Of course I am happy to read one of those and would give this one a try. I can't actually resist a book that has that jack the ripper element included.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This one sounds right up your street, Pat. New to me, I'll keep an eye out in the library.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I've been hearing about this one too, and have it on my to-get list. It won't be in softcover here for a few months yet. I so want to read it, and I love your review - very interesting and you didn't give anything away. I think you are right too, that almost anything after Charles Dickens feels lighter, doesn't it? Not so textured.

8:30 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Yay I'm glad you enjoyed it :D This is actually the first in a trilogy :p So you do have three more to come. You are right though…now that I think about it, the characters weren't all that memorable, but the book itself definitely was!

12:08 AM  
Blogger BSA said...

Now you have me curious about her "ability"...;o Great review lady :D

6:07 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Thats me...sorry...wrong account...lol

7:20 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: yes, familiar subjects makes stores easy to follow

cath: geez Chris just said this is a series! lol but.. it reads as a stand alone so still check it out.

kathleen:it seems younger people solving murders seems to be a theme in many ya books

susan: lol oh yeah Dickens is always a little difficult to read lol I am still shocked that now in my late 60's I am reading him and Collins..never read them in my life!

chris: the book was a good story but I didn't feel "in it" I didn't feel I was there, which is unusual for me.

kelly: bsa? do I want to know ?? lol lol

7:36 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I liked this book, but I never felt quite connected with it. I wanted to like it more than I actually liked it. I was interested in the story/plot which I guess is all it essentially takes to keep reading...but it wasn't a book I could gush on for hours about.

8:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

becky: it was different I guess and I had no trouble reading it in it's entirety..but I didn't feel connected... like I didn't feel I really knew the kids involved.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home