My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Pow, Zoom.. to the moon Alice!

Tuesday, October 18, 200511:28:00 AM EDT
Feeling Anxious

I was just reading another journal, he had posted a beautiful photo he had taken of the moon, http://journals.aol.com/johnmscalzi/bytheway and it got me thinking.. or rather remembering a time in my life that I will never forget.

When i was still in high school (lord that was long ago!) I can remember sitting in study hall (which was actually our lunch room). Over the loud speaker our principal let the whole school hear Alan Shepard's first flight. I'm not sure it all seemed real to me at the time, but it quickly became very important to me, and I can't really say why.

All I know is that every chance i could i would watch the blastoffs of the Mercury, Apollo, and Gemini flights. At each and every blastoff I would sit there and bawl my eyes out. I even remember thoughts at the time.. i would repeat over and over "let them make it.. let them make it". When all seemed safe I would begin to relax and listen to what was being said and mostly to the voices of the astronauts.

Days after the blastoff I would run home from school to turn on the television to watch the splashdown. Once again the minute the shoots deployed the "waterworks" began. Relief! They got home safe!

Then one night when i was married and had 2 children.. I sat up late at night and stared at a snowy television at man took his first steps on the moon. ON THE MOON! This was Star Trek in reality! Where did these men get the nerve to take such a chance? Didn't they think what might happen if they couldn't get back? Did they not have any fear whatsoever? And what made them feel what they were doing was worth dying for ? For surely they knew that there is always a chance that could happen.

It's a shame that today's "news" doesn't follow the astronauts of today unless theres a tradedy. The people taking the chances of space travel are the future of mankind. Yet they are now only worth a small blurb unless there's an accident. And then they become so busy saying that space travel is dangerous and not worth human life, that they forget what sort of a planet we live on. We happen to live on an unstable planet! Duh.. wake up and smell the roses guys, one day (no matter how many hundreds or thousands of years from now) could very well break apart! We have cracks all over the planet, least they forget a little something called "earthquakes"!

Space is the only guaranteed way that mankind may survive someday. Yet the astronauts of today aren't even worth newscoverage most of the time. I find this hard to comprehend... many may not have a special interest in space but the astronauts of today.. or yesterday should not be the forgotten few.

Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair. ~George Burns

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home