My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Stories of Pern

Tuesday, October 18, 20052:13:00 PM EDT
Feeling Quiet

The Stories of PernTwo in words: Anne McCaffrey.

One of my all time favorite authors. I've read every Pern book that's been put out!
Dragonflight
Dragonquest
The White Dragon
Dragonsong
Dragonsinger
Dragondrums
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
Nerilka's Story: A Pern Adventure
Dragonsdawn
The Renegades of Pern
All the Weyrs of Pern
Chronicles of Pern:
First Fall
The Dolphins of Pern
DragonsEye
The Masterharper of Pern
The Skies of Pern
Dragon's Kin (Todd McCaffrey)

Yep, I did, I did.. I read 'em all.. more than once. Her first trilogy impressed me so much I spent nearly a year embroidering a picture i drew of "The White Dragon" and Jaxom.




A year, because this picture is about36 inches wide and 46 inches high.. that's alotta thread! (no pun intended) Thread isn't the best at blending colors, but i did what i could.

Pern and the characters have stayed with me over the years. Like I said, i've read them more than once. The characters were so terrific, and I loved how she named the riders by "shortening" their names. (F'lar, F'nor) She continued to keep me close to them when she wrote the smaller trilogy of the more understated characters in Dragon Song, Dragon Singer and Dragon Drums.

She's probably the only author that I like that kept a "good thing going". Many other authors who i just loved their stories and characters eventually came to an end and they would go in other directions. I tried to like the other stories saying it was the Author I liked so much, but found out in reality... it was the characters of certain stories that captured me so intently.
I'm more then glad she always came home to Pern. Now her son is doing his own writings about Pern. His first book "Dragon Kin" I read upon it's release. He's good.. but he's not his mother. Heh..

I hope Anne McCaffrey never totally leaves Pern, or her characters. I hope I'm still reading about Pern in the years to come.

Thanks Anne.. thanks for so many wonderful hours of reading!


A day without sunshine is like, well, night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home