My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Fan-dom

When I come across pictures it brings the memories back like it was just the other day. So I'm always glad when they are happy ones.Staying with Deforest just a little more because I found another photo that Annie of Ann's Meanderings ( http://journals.aol.com/desannie/Anniesmeanderings/ ) mentioned in a comment.

Like I've said so many times, once I met DeForest it seemed to become my lot in life to make Carolyn and him laugh. I think it felt a little like "entertaining the entertainer"... or something like that. Anyway, since whenever De was going to do a convention my mind would go in overload as to "what can I do this time?". I was always on the lookout for "cheap props" as all my money was being spent to fly to his convention and to share a room with other De Fans.

One day (when living in Florida) I went to a dollar store "in search of" I didn't know what, just looking for "props". I came across a huge yellow paper fan for 1.00. The word FAN jumped into my head.. the fan I was holding and "De's Fans", so I appropriated every dollar fan they had! I took them home and wrote on the fans and brought them with me to the convention. There I handed them out to some of De's fan club member with the instructions that when De walked on stage, anyone with a fan would stand up and open them wide.

Well.. we did! And De broke into laughter right on stage. He then announced to the rest of the audience that he had an awesome but sometimes outrageous fan club and look at what they went and did. Then he made us stand again and turn to the audience to show them. Later I was approached by a few other fans wanting to buy the fans!


All in all it was, as always, a fun time. DeForest often came to his club parties that were held when Sue, his club president knew many of the club members would be there. Once there she would hold auctions and the money raised went to one of DeForests charities, which in the clubs case, was the North Shore Animal League. Over a number off years the amount of money given to his charity from his club was in the thousands of dollars.

Needless to say, he had a really good fan club.

I finally got my head together; now my body is falling apart.

5 Comments:

Blogger Virenda said...

That is so sweet and such an awesome idea, Love all the photos, in fact I come here every morning with my coffee and take a peek at what you have going on. :0)

1:42 PM  
Blogger betty said...

How cute! I just love your stories like this :)

betty

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story!

I've just discovered your blog tonight and REALLY enjoyed it--wrote an entry in my blog plugging you--check it out when you get a chance, and visit any time:
http://journals.aol.com/paulajlambert/PaulaLambert-Author/entries/855

Best,
Paula
http://journals.aol.com/paulajlambert/PaulaLambert-Author/

11:57 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

That is so cool. Those fans don't look like they cost a dollar. They look like they cost more. Did you ever tell him that, that was your idea?

8:47 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Charles: Oh he knew! He always knew! hahahaha

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home