My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

94 Degree Chicken Soup

Not many people make soup in 94 degree temperatures... but I do.

I do because once I make a big pot then I know I don't have to cook, or even think about "what's for dinner" for at least 4 days if not more!

This time I made my broth with chicken legs.  First off let me tell you legs (or legs and thighs) make better broth than breasts do. ..but I still prefer white meat .

after I take out the legs I add all the veggies I can afford. And then take the meat off of the legs and add it back in the soup.

In this batch I was able to use: Carrots. Onions. Celery. Rutabaga. Potatoes. Broccoli. Frozen Peas. Frozen Lima Beans. (plus a large can of plum tomatoes crushed by my hands and 4 cans of College Inn Chicken Broth)  At times I add a cut up wedge of cabbage and sometimes some summer or zucchini squash.. just depends on what's available and how much money I want to spend on a pot of soup!.  (oh and parsley, pepper and dill also) The last time I made the chicken soup I had to skimp on many veggies, but this is one of the few ways I get lots of veggies so I try not to skimp often.

So I am content now.. I don't have to even think about dinner all week long!   Yiiii Hawwww!

My next "weekly" meal will be Turkey Meat Loaf. (high cholesterol keeps me away from red meat so we do turkey and chicken)  My other big pot meals are generally Turkey Chili and a Chicken stew of sorts.  I am quite content to make anything in a large quantity and then eat leftovers (hot or cold) all week long.  Oh yes, we have gotten lazy in our old age!

While the soup was cookin' I noticed the Anhinga on the other side of the pond and grabbed my camera to go get a closer shot so they would be clear... She was quite obliging.

Ms. Anhinga posed nicely for me .

The large Heron showed up on my way back.  He's been gone for some time.

I had some of the soup for dinner  and the day ended without rain!

11 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Man, your soup looks so good, you've almost got me wishing I ate meat. Enjoy!

10:10 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: I'm only one step behind you eating only chicken/ turkey/ fish. but if you use chicken broth and all the veggies it would taste the same. Another good soup (no meat) is take can tomato soup add plum tomatoes that you hand crush and add basil. Tomato Basil soup mmmm mmmm good! (hmmm that's been said before i bet lol)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

That last picture is stunning! And the soup sounds yummy, but I'll probably only try it in the winter :P

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I salute the Queen of Chicken Vegetable Soup. Not a huge soup eater, mostly in the wintertime and I eat mine from the can. Never been good with leftovers. Will cook only enough for one or two meals. Usually eat Lean Cusines or Weight Watcher's entrees at night. Been trying to eat a better lunch and less super since I retired. Get my veggies from salads mostly. Love your moon shot. My scanner is stil on the fritz and now att has changed my e-mail home page routing it through Yahoo, and of course now Yahoo won't recognize me. ARRGGHH. Why don't they leave my home page alone unless I request a change..*&!!##&&# company. Sorry for the vala rant.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I love to make chicken soup! this one looks really good....and I prefer dark meat, so I have to confess my mouth watered at your first picture. MMMMM. I'm going to have to make this when it's cooler - unlike you, but like Nymeth, I prefer soups when it's cooler out!

I also love herons. We have some that live around the river here, the big Ottawa River, and they fly around my work ( a big glass building), as well as over by my house when I'm out walking by the window. So I love your own photography. Very accommodating birds!! And lucky lucky you (the birds and sunset). Enjoy your dinner!

5:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: I make it anytime..especially in fla there is no winter sooooo you just make it when you crave the taste.

vala: all the companies thrive only to screw us up!! rant all you want... your scanner is not doing it's thing and my little program to load pics from my small camera stopped working..the camera is fine but I can't get them to load on the computer because although the "program" is on (I reloaded it to be sure) when I plug the camera to the computer and put the camera on the box does not come up saying "open with".. and so I can't load anything. I am just grateful it's the little fuji camera and not the canon powershot!

hi susan..well like I said above there is no winter here so there are no "summer or winter meals".. you make whatever because it's always hot here. (do NOT ask me if I like that.. for I do NOT)

5:43 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That soup looks delidious and Hearty, too...! I rarely, if ever, eat red meat of any kind anymore. It's Chicken, Turkey and Fish, for me.
I should really think about making a Soup like this....It really looks so good I almost thought I could smell it!

Beautiful Bird Pictures, as Always. I LOVE how they "pose" for you....lol!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I always buy chicken legs and thighs, the 10-pound bags. It's cheap that way, and I divide it when I get home and put it in the freezer.

Soup is a frugal and nutritious dish; why not have it year around?

6:24 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Now you've gone and made me hungry! Wonder what I have to eat?

Those birds have crazy necks, don't they? And I love that lost shot of the pond. It's beautiful!

cjh

6:49 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

We differ! I much prefer the dark meat of legs and thighs to breast meat... although I happily eat both. That soup looks wonderful and great that it's a one pot meal that lasts several days. I'm a soup junkie and eat it all year round. And it's *so* good for you.

7:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: emailed you

cj: yeah the view is different from my last view in NJ that's for sure.. but it's not mountains and creeks either .. the downhill of life and I still wish I lived in the forest..guess we never give up dreaming

Cath: when it comes to chicken soup the dark meat gives a much tastier broth.. but just to eat chicken or turkey i still like white meat w/ gravy! lol Obviously I eat both lol
However it is too dang hot here to be cooking anything let alone something that cooks for more than an hour.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home