My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Pond Happenings

Now and then.. well, occasionally, ok, fine: nearly every day we have a down pour.  Generally, it comes with lightening and thunder.  Rarely, it is "just rain".  But the other day we did have one that was "just rain"..

But it comes down so fast that even our path around the pond gets temporarily flooded..

After this particular storm I was rewarded when my very own little Lochness Monster reared her head!

Ok, ok.. so it's not Scotland, it's not the Loch, and it's not a monster.. *sigh* it's only the pond with an Anhinga! 

The next morning was sunny and as I waited for my girlfriend I glanced outside and  found a man that was walking his cat on a leash!  The cat looked just like Winkey, one of the cats I had to leave behind!

 

I went out to ask if I could take his picture and was told I could.

Meanwhile, as I am trying to talk to this man, I hear this honking noise and turn to see it's mama  Moorhen coming towards where the cat is and honking away !  He kept this up for about 5 minutes then when he saw the cat wasn't moving towards the water he left... and about 5 minutes after that the whole family was in the water again..but farther away! LOL... hell has no fury like a mama Moorhen! She could care less how big anyone is! lol  (the cat was not phased)

 

If you are wondering why the small Heron pic is here it's because he was quietly watching all the shenanigans and hearing all the honking going on by mama Moorhen! (you can see just how bothered he was..not.)

14 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Ooops, I dunno why but I thought your Twitter link was to your other blog. Blame addled-brain-syndrome. Anyway, such gorgeous pics - what a beautiful cat! And wow... that's rain all right... 'Florida' rain I would think as we don't get it that heavy very often in the UK.

7:04 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: we get that rain nearly every day... if you want it you can have it! lol

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year in Florida has been good as far as rainfall. We have had a few years prior with very little. So am not going to complain. My yard, trees, and shrubs are loving it. Makes for a lot of weed pulling though.
Getting ready to go to a memorial for a friend so won't be able to stay online very long.
Liked the cat on a leash. That had to be different. The cat that has adopted me, still skittish as all get out with others though, now wants a pet and scratch after breakfast. Once I do that I have to head in and wash my hands very thoroughly.
Hope you have a nice day. Vala out

11:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey vala: you could always get those think rubber gloves used at hospitals and pet the cat all you want then!... well.. that is unless you begin to sneeze!

12:07 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Love the rain photos! In fact, I saved one to use as my desktop picture, if you don't mind.

Your pond is so cool with all the goings on. I love the 'monster' photo. Those birds are so cool.

If I try to put a collar on my cats, they act like I'm killing them. Can't imagine walking them on a leash but what a responsible pet owner!

cjh

1:33 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

What a beautiful kitty! We used to try to put a leash on and walk our very first cat, Buster. But that little rascal could squirm and wiggle his way out every time. ;)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

And I bet that rain comes at JUST ABOUT 5 o'clock in the evening! I took the kids to Disney World about 10 or 12 years ago... we were there for 10 days - and every single solitary day somewhere between 4:45 and 5:15 it POURED! Just POURED! I found it quite amazing! ;)

4:15 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: emailed you. of course it's ok you use a pic for your wallpaper!!

Debi: I had one kitty that took to a harness... but its not boo! lol

Melli: it's different times in different areas lol.. where I am it's generally about 2-3 pm. that's summer in fla all the time.. I remember being at Disney when my kids were younger and we had an exchange French student.. we were out paddling the big canoe's (12 people each) when the heavens opened! Lightening and all.. Talk about scared chitless!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Love how your pictures captured such violent collisions of the raindrops against the pond. And that mossy tree image is fantastic as well.

4:58 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I just LOVE all your Bird pictures, as I have said before--- and that dear kitty who looks like "Winky" is a sweetheart, too!

AND THE RAINS CAME....Lord, they are heavy!

7:00 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

We had a lovely rain here today, but my head was killing me so I was cursing it rather than enjoying it :( I love that story with the moorhen honking at the cat! LOL...animals are so damn funny. I bet the cat couldn't be bothered either. He really does look like Winky from the pictures I've seen of him!!

2:14 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Naomi well i guess we both enjoy each others pictures! :o)

Chris: It bothers me a lot that you and many others have these very frequent headaches and doctors can't seem to help.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I guess that rain is the reason everything always looks so lush and tropical...duh to me.
and..brave little Moorhen.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Great pictures Pat. Brave little hen ready to take on the world for her babies. Cute kitty. That was good of him to train it to a leash. Supposed to rain here tonight and tomorrow. Just enough rain and a lot of sunshine to make the grass run away with Ken.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home