My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Life at the Pond: August 7th & 8th..

5:30 a.m. August 7th..

.... about 7 am..

______________________________________________________

August 8th... Feeding Time....

It seems the "crowd" of birds has left the pond for places unknown.  I haven't seen the Wood Stork or big Heron in some time.  If it weren't for the concern I have over the Moorhen babies I'd have nothing to photograph right now..

Speaking of which.. the whole Moorhen clan were swimming very close to my apt so I grabbed some bread to feed them.  I wish I could take a picture of the parents taking bread from me but my hands are busy so no can do.. anyway.. I break up the bread and after a few times of them taking from me I back off and then took a few pictures closer than normal.

The only thing I have to feed them is some bread.

(above) Mama Moorhen on one of her trips up for bread.  She is constant motion so I am surprised this came out at all lol.

Bread in mouth, on the way to feed one of the babies.  Needless to say one was anxiously awaiting with their mouth ready and waiting!

When mama or pop isn't in attendance the babies are searching on their own now..

Finally! I got a good picture of a baby!.. Note that it doesn't even have fuzz on it's wings yet.

I am deeply saddened to say that there are now only 4 chicks.

But on a happier note I now cannot go outside if they are near my apt.  When they see me, mama and papa come a running out of the water and up the grass right to me and state honking looking for food!

Hell.. I'd probably honk if someone fed me too! *giggle*

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Looks to me like you're foster mom to a family of moorhens now. ;-)

Did you take that shot of the moon? Nice reflections in the lake too.

9:41 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Cath: yep I took the moonshot. I am surprised the Moorhens know me because I am NOT the only one feeding them! lol..they will never go hungry around here! haha

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They just like you most out of all the people feeding them? ^-~

That is a gorgeous shot of the moon, though, and while it's sad that there are only four chicks now, that is a lovely story about your feeding them. ^-^ Brought a smile to my face. ^-^ (And that reflection is lovely too.)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Whoa...I can't believe that moon shot! It's gorgeous, Pat! Those babies just keep getting cuter.

8:16 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

shanra:nice thought but I'd bet that they know each and every person who feeds them and they do the same thing lol.. I don't think they are dumb birds lol

HI Debi: its funny but all month long I can't find the dang moon at that hour of the morning until it is nearly a full moon and then bingo! there it is right outside my window! So each month around the 7th I get to see this great sight.. and it sits right there until I take a photo of it lol

9:52 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

These are such sweet sweet pictures...And they are really BEAUTIFUL Birds! I guess you started an Avalanche with those little pieces of Bread....I would probably continue just so I could get more pictures! LOL!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home