My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Islands of the Blessed

The Islands of the Blessed by Nancy Farmer book III.

 

Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books(October 20, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1416907378

Review

"It's a wondrous tale of hobgoblins, mermaids and sea hags, Saxons and Northmen, old gods and young bards, thoroughly steeping readers in Norse mythology. It's also a long, beautifully written tale, expertly weaving together several story lines and informing readers new to the series of crucial plot points from the previous volumes."

Review by Sarah A Wood..

THE ISLANDS OF THE BLESSED is the third installment in Nancy Farmer's The Sea of Trolls trilogy. Set after the Viking raid of the island monastery of Lindisfarne in 793, her series explores the collision of Christian, Pagan and Norse cosmologies against a background of magic and mythological creatures. The final book also confronts some of the uglier aspects of these belief systems, whether it is the severe penitence Father Severus demands of his fellow Christians or the ceaseless battle that is part of Valhalla, the Northman paradise. As servants of the life force, Jack and Thorgil must put aside their pasts and prejudices to heal the wounds that have been committed in the names of various different deities.

 

Book 3 gives us yet another adventure for Jack and Thorgil.  Jack has aged a few years since book one and as apprentice to the Bard continues to gain in his powers.

Thorgil probably does her most changing in this book and when the book ends at least we know basically what happens to them both.

I don't know if Ms Farmer intends to continue this series or not.. basically it did wrap up most things but having read fantasy for many years.. the door is always open, even if she decided to pick up years later when they are older.

I did enjoy all 3 books but I would lie if I didn't say that there were other characters that I would have liked knowing more about.  They were there and given just enough to get you interested in them but then fade away leaving just the main protagonists.

On that note I will say that I enjoyed these books.  The chapters are short, which makes me read more each sitting.  I would read more of her books if she should decided to continue them, and I will pass these books on to my 13 yr old grandson who I know will enjoy them as much as I did.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading over all the books you read in 2009 was very impressive. I read a lot but I never keep track and just read whatever fits the mood of the moment. Am reading a book now I am enjoying a lot. It is called Black Wind and takes place from the 1930's on and involves two Japanese and an American. It is slightly reminscent of "The Young Lions" in that it follows the politics and the different cultures and the interactions between the two. The characterizations are quite good. The last book before that was 'A Royal Pain' about a royal that is 37th in the line to the throne but she is put out on her own when she reaches her 21st birthday and coming out. An unusual take on the fish out of water story as she has to sneak around to make a living and still meets the queen when summoned. By an author named Rhys Bowen. Sorry to go on but won't talk about any others I have read. Hope you have a nice new year. I really am not planning on going out in this crazy college town. Vala3

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I really want to give Nancy Farmer a try...

7:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: well this was an enjoyable series and Nancy Farmer did her homework!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

You read these quickly, Pat! I've been quite impressed with the first two, partly I think because she set them in 'real' history. I hope she writes some more too.

10:31 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: they were quick reads and I enjoyed them.. her research was interesting at the end of each book.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home