My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Land of the Silver Apples

The Land of the Silver Apples : Book II of Nancy Farmer

Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers(August 21, 2007)
ISBN-10: 141690735

From Booklist

*Starred Review* Safely returned from his perilous stint among Northmen, 12-year-old Jack reflects, "That's the nature of adventures. . . . They're nasty while they're happening and only fun later." For readers, though, there's satisfaction in both the nasty and the fun, and this sequel to The Sea of Trolls (2004) offers full measures of both. After Jack learns that his often-bratty little sis is a changeling (and that his real sister likely dwells with hobgoblins), a misguided exorcism results in Lucy's disappearance. Then the young bard must descend into the out-of-time Land of the Silver Apples to retrieve both of his lost siblings. In that richly imagined realm, surprises include a reunion with shield-maiden Thorgil as well as creatures whose appearances deceive—shape-shifting knuckers; hideous yet likable hobgoblins; and lovely, soulless elves, whose inability to grow or age tinges their existence with tragedy.

I have to admit that the review from Booklist says it all without spoiling too much of the book.

Nancy Farmer has certainly done a lot of homework before writing these book!  Not only about Vikings but about Pictish Symbols, Din Guardi (now called Bamburgh Castle) and about old and new religions.  With all this information at hand she has written a well rounded adventure with some very likeable and some not so likeable characters.  I've now enjoyed two of the three books and totally expect to enjoy the last one, which I will begin reading today.

There are lessons to be learned in this YA adventure also.  One that stood out to me was the old saying, you can't judge a book by it's cover (sometimes true enough..but other times...) or what you see is not necessarily what you get or even don't be too fast to judge a person on their looks.

There are some old and some new characters in this book.  I liked seeing Thorgil again and hearing Olaf mentioned, but I did enjoy  the new characters also, and I was happy to even "enjoy" the Hobgoblins!

I already know I will pass this series of books along to my 13 yr old grandson!  I guess that means I'm enjoying them!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I have to say I'm a bit curious as to what those silver apples are or what they look like at least.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Glad you liked this one, Pat. Haven't had any reading time at all today but am hoping to crack on with it tomorrow. Enjoying it so far.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I have read a couple short stories from Nancy Farmer, but not any of her novels. I must giver her a try!

1:27 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: oh I am pretty sure you will like book 2 as much as book 1

kelly: this is a ya book no doubt about it but I have found ya authors can come up with better stories than adult authors. too many adult authors make "wars" the biggest part of their books..ya authors tend to tell more story.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I've been wanting to read these for a while, but like so many books, just can't seem to get to them. And I didn't even realize the third book was out. (Ought to come out of my cave more often, huh?)

1:29 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

They do look like fun books, Pat! I'm glad you're enjoying them.

cjh

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home