My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

AOL strikes again...

Ok.. I am fuming mad and shaking right now... because i am being forced to make yet another "change" in my life.

I ask anyone on aol to please leave a comment and tell me if they are now receiving a pop up that asks if you want to stay on line and you have to click yes or no. I am told by aol that this is now the norm for ALL aol members. So if you walk away from your computer and this sign comes up and you are not there to click it, it logs you OFF, so when you return you have to redial up to get on line over and over again.

I remember they had this way back when you paid by the hour. Not such a bad thing then since it helped you save time.. but not now when you pay for unlimited. I SHOULD be able to leave my computer on 24/7 if i so choose and yet not have to sit in front of the computer the entire time to click the "yes" button when the pop up asks if you want to remain on line.

Excuse me? I pay for UNLIMITED.. if i didn't want to be on line i wouldn 't need "unlimited"!
The first time I called on this yesterday a tech had me "reset" aol.. how nice.. can't thank her enough since in doing so it deleted all my custom sounds I had put on my aol portion of my computer! But they neglected to say it would delete anything at all when i asked first if i would loose anything by doing this. Oh.. and of course it didn't take away the pop up. So in essence the tech didn't know what she was doing.


So.. i am fuming. I don't want to change IPs.. but i can't sit here at every moment waiting for the pop up to appear. I have a disabled brother that i have to jump and go to whenever he calls.. so i go away from my computer alot leaving things unfinished, like my writing.. only to come back to being logged off and loss of anything unfinished. I can't say to him "wait while i save this and put it somewhere" when his call might be urgent. (It isn't urgent so far but in his conditions who know when i may be and i can't take that chance.)

So now aol thinks that for the premium price I pay to them (for 10 yrs now) that it's a SAFETY FACTOR to log anyone off if they are inactive for any amount of time.. "we do this for your safety"... once again the customer has no choice in the matter. If i want to "take the chances" they should have nothing to say about it.

I have been told "this is the norm for every aol person".. so i am asking before i do anything rash if any others are having this happen to them, and if so have you called aol and gotten the same response... and what will you do about it if anything?

I remember years ago there was some sort of pop up blocker that wasn't aol but basically when the pop up came on it clicked the yes and the box disappeared so you didn't have to be on the machine to do it yourself.. does anyone know if such a program is still out there??
ARRGGHHHHH... i can't stop shaking! I just want to cry when someone takes away my choices of how i live or do something. Especially, when I am paying for it!


To me it's none of their concern how long i keep my machine on, sitting in front of it or not! If they want to put "safety features" in their program they are welcome to, but put an "on/ off" choice to the customer! At premium prices for dialup, that's the least we deserve.

Sorry for ranting.. i hope someone can tell me if it's happening to them or if I'm getting a bunch of bull from someone that doesn't know what to do about it.

I hope you are having a better day then I am!

Oh.. and one last "kicker".. the first time it popped up.. i was on aol browser in an aol journal.. and it basically was saying i was "inactive".. go figure!

5 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Hmmm... well, I'm no help. I have my high-speed internet thru my cable company and actually pay an extra amount to AOL for 'allowing' me to use their services each month... i.e. I've had my AOL screenname/e-mail for over 10 years and don't want to give it up!

Because I don't connect directly to AOL, I haven't seen this.. but, that doesn't mean I won't... Stupid AOL! I did download their newest 'Safety and Security' thingy and I don't like it... and now can't get my old McCafee back that I had been using thru them Grrrrrr! Guess I'll have to get on the phone and see what I can do about it this weekend... ::sigh:: Anyone speak Indian??

9:10 PM  
Blogger rdl said...

Yea, i also have cable. Is cable an option, if so i say switch. Take deep breaths. Good luck!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I also have high speed internet through my cable company and pay extra to also have AOL. I still leave it on all of the time and it never shuts off. Maybe because of cable? Not sure.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

I have a dial up connection, and I do get those pop up messages once in a while. I hadn't thought much about it, but, yeah, those do come up when I've left the screen inactive for a bit.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Unfortunately this is the norm. I went to go and cook something to eat one time and when I came back I was logged off. I heard like a ringing bell before this happened, but I thought it was someone either logging on or offline with there instant messangers.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home