My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Sigh...

Ho-hum... the anger has not subsided about aol...

After 2 different phone calls to aol, (the first having me reset aol only to loose my custom sounds and the second tech informing me "this is how it is on ALL aol users now, but i now suspect it's not that way when on dsl or cable) I went to "live chat" to ask yet again.. this one told me that indeed it is the way it is for all.. but, if i put on my aol radio it will stop the sign and aol will think you are "active".. so i tried this and tested it by staying on line while I went to see my brother in the hospital. It worked! BUT.. and there is always that "but".. since i am on dialup, keeping the radio "on but mute" must use up alot of what little speed i have as dialup.. now, for me to load my journal page or any web page takes 3-4 times longer then normally. It took me hours to get thru reading the journal I normally read in one hour. I don't think this is my solution!

I asked a computer friend who i remembered had a tiny program, way back when aol did this before.. that was when you paid hourly. She searched around and found two websites for me.. but i don't know if they will work or not.

One is similiar to what i think WOULD work, except in small print it doesn't list aol 9 or windows xp.. it goes up to aol 8 and win2000. I am going to post the address and if anyone reading this is "a tech geek" please read it and let me know if this might work.

http://threeclicks.com/aolTimer.htm

The other website is a program for sale.. which i will buy IF it will work.. but it's been out there for a while, so again I wonder if it will work on xp and aol 9.. it says it can be returned for a refund but I don't drive and getting to a store that sells it is hard for me. It could take weeks for me to get a neighbor who has the time to take me.. here is that website..

http://www.inklineglobal.com/products/sc/index.html

I sure would appreciate any help.. i know i should just leave aol, but i really don't want to loose my aol journal (and can't afford dsl or cable) nor do i want to send out 200 emails to others to let them know my "new email" address..

I think most of all i stay with aol because i like that it is a "program" not just a webpage like Juno or netzero. I like the big blank space it gives me and my buddylist. It certainly isn't much of anything else because other then this journal I don't click ANY of aols buttons at the top.. i don't use their chat rooms or anything except email/ buddy list IM/ and my journal.. i even mostly use IE for browsing.. 'cept for the journals they are listed on the aol browser.

Sigh..... things were slow on dialup to load anyway.. but this is ridiculous with the radio thingy on.

I'm not just trying to get around this "idle" thing because it's annoying. My circumstances make it so i have to run down to my brother each time he calls and just leaving the computer means if i am bumped i loose whatever i was doing... be it downloading something.. or writing in my story etc.. and it would mean dialing back on maybe a dozen times a day... I REALLY want this to go away!

addendum:

I forgot to say that i spent ALL afternoon copying my buddy list, my address book, and my journal addresses to a txt pad so that if i have to leave aol I will not loose the addresses. Then I also went to each journal via IE instead of the aol browser to save them on IE.. which would remain the same if i go to another IP.. sure not fun!

Thanks for those responding... i also sent an email of to a tech I know hoping he will review those websites and tell me what may work. I know his first response will be to leave aol lol. but i've seen Juno and netzero both (only ones i may afford) and really dislike it being a "webpage"... and getting upset thinking I can't comment on aol journals if i leave. Not that what i have to say is important lol.. but i enjoy the journals i read and want to let them know by commenting.
the little hourglass on my "mouse" keepspopping on.. i'm sure that's because the "radio" is taking up any bandwith i have.. frustrating to say the least. I'll try not to talk about this tomorrow too!


Oh.. just to update.. my brother is still in the hospital but doing better, so he should be home soon. Just as glad he's not here at the moment, I have enough to deal with thanks to aol.

hope you all have a good day............

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, dealing with AOL can be quite a pain. Frankly, if you got someone who doesn't sound like a dropout from an "English as a Second Language" class, then you're really lucky. The last time I ever dealt with AOL on the phone, I spent most of the time trying to decipher what the person was saying to me. He was polite, but Almighty! Can I have a guy who speaks my language???

7:14 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You never said before, and if you did, I missed it, but why not DSL or broadband through the cable company? Just curious. I know that would clear up any problems you have. lol.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Christina K Brown said...

If you leave AOL you will still be able to comment because you can set up an AIM screen name close to or even (if you are lucky) the same as your current screen name for FREE and still comment in all your friends journals. Remember that AOL is giving the services away for free that us paying memebers have been PAYING for and that is why so many of us were mad and left.


All your friends will soon know your new screen name.


AOL is giving away free e-mail too. I saw someone say that once they closed their AOL account they could migrate their old screen name to the free AIM account but I don't know how that works...


I feel like I bought the cow and they are giving away free milk.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Christina K Brown said...

If you leave AOL you will still be able to comment because you can set up an AIM screen name close to or even (if you are lucky) the same as your current screen name for FREE and still comment in all your friends journals. Remember that AOL is giving the services away for free that us paying memebers have been PAYING for and that is why so many of us were mad and left.


All your friends will soon know your new screen name.


AOL is giving away free e-mail too. I saw someone say that once they closed their AOL account they could migrate their old screen name to the free AIM account but I don't know how that works...


I feel like I bought the cow and they are giving away free milk.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home